- Duration Two Days
- Cost £560
- Venue Education Centre 2, RPH, Preston, PR2 9HT
- Date TBC
- Start Time TBC
This advanced paediatric life support programme is for those from:
- A medical, nursing, ECP, ODP or RTO background
- Physician’s Assistants for which APLS is relevant to their working practice.
- RTOs from any background who work in a paediatric hospital are eligible to take the programme. However, RTOs who work in a non-paediatric hospital, with any other background to those already listed, can submit an application form detailing their paediatric practice and each of these cases will be considered individually. It is recommended that nurses are senior staff nurses and above.
- Experienced level 5 staff nurses
The APLS course provides the knowledge and skills necessary for recognition and effective treatment and stabilisation of children with life threatening emergencies, using a structured, sequential approach. The 3-day APLS course comprises of a flexible 1-day on-line component and a 2-day face-to-face course.
During this course your will learn the following:
- Recognition and treatment of the seriously ill child
- Basic Life support including foreign body Airway obstruction
- Rhythm recognition and defibrillation skills
- Casualty simulation – Cardiac, Seriously Ill, Seriously Injured
- Skill Stations:
- Airway management Vascular Access – Seldinger Technique, Intraosseous and UVC Cervical Collar use and immobilisation Chest drains insertion; needle Thoracocentesis, Needle Cricothyroidotomy and demo of surgical airway
- Interactive session/workshops:
- Child in Shock Child with decreased Level of consciousness and neurological assessment Sepsis Triage Stabilisation and transfer
Candidates must complete the eLearning modules prior to the face-to- face element of the APLS. The course programme consists of lectures, skills demonstrations and simulations.
Assessments are based on clinical scenarios that allow the candidate to demonstrate the core competencies that have been taught on the course. These include airway management, vascular access, illness/serious injury management and cardiac arrest management. Candidates will also undertake a multiple-choice questionnaire.
If you are successful, APLS certification is valid for four years and includes access to a VLE and a paediatric e-Library. If you would like to apply for this course, please complete the online application form.