- Duration One Day
- Cost £130
- Venue Education Centre 2, RPH, Preston, PR2 9HT
- Date Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for dates
- Start Time 08:30am
The PILS Course is appropriate for the following candidates: doctors, medical students (final year), nurses, health visitors, school nurses, nursing students (final year), midwives, ODPs, cardiac technicians, resuscitation officers, physiotherapists, dentists, dental nurses, ambulance technicians/paramedics. The PILS course addresses the needs of staff who need more advanced skills than those taught during basic life support (BLS), but who do not require the more comprehensive two-day European Paediatric Advanced Life Support (EPALS) course.
The Resuscitation Council (UK) Paediatric Immediate Life Support (PILS) course was launched in 2007. It was developed in response to a demand from healthcare professionals who may have to act as first responders and treat seriously ill children or children in cardiac arrest until the arrival of a cardiac arrest team.
The PILS course teaches the knowledge and skills to:
- understand the structured ABCDE approach that facilitates rapid recognition of seriously ill children;
- provide appropriate initial treatment interventions to prevent cardiorespiratory arrest;
- treat children in respiratory or cardiorespiratory arrest until the arrival of a resuscitation team or more experienced assistance;
- promote active membership of a paediatric resuscitation team.
The PILS course is run over one day and the course programme consists of one lecture, skill stations and simulation practice.
Assessment is continuous and is guided by the assessment forms provided for each core skill. Copies of the assessment forms should be forwarded to the candidate with their manual.
Successful candidates receive a Resuscitation Council (UK) PILS provider certificate, which is valid for one year. The PILS course is recognised for up to 5 continuing professional development (CPD) points. If you would like to apply for this course, please complete the online application form.