If you’re looking for resources to support your studies you’ve come to the right place!
Below is a whole range of ways the Library can support you throughout your clinical placement at Lancashire Teaching Hospitals.
We can help you:
The Library has a large collection of textbooks for studying, covering a wide range of medical specialities, and exam books to help you revise for OSCEs and end of year finals.
To borrow books you need to join the Library. You can borrow up to 10 books for 4 weeks at a time.
You can borrow books 24/7 using our self-issue machines – you will need your Trust ID badge to access the building at evenings and weekends.
In addition to print books we also have eBooks which can be accessed anytime anywhere with an OpenAthens account. We recommend you register for an account using a Trust computer.
If you need journal articles for university assignments, the Library subscribes to 100s of medical journals. You can find journals using BrowZine – search for a specific title or browse by speciality.
An OpenAthens account with this Trust account is required to access the Library’s journal collection. We recommend you register for an account using a Trust computer.
You also have access to a resource called the NHS Knowledge and Library Hub which connects health cares staff and learners to high quality, NHS-funded, knowledge and evidence resources in one place, using a single search.
- includes all journal articles, e-books, guidelines and evidence summary tools provided nationally and by your local NHS library team
- provides seamless access to full text, as an immediate download or on request from an NHS library
- avoids the less-reliable sources you might find in a general web search.
If you require a detailed literature search you can use healthcare databases such as Medline and PubMed. We offer training to help you plan your literature search and show you the best techniques to use to find the information you need.
If you need help preparing for clinical practice you can access to the latest evidence for patient care using the following resources:
BMJ Best Practice – Gives you trusted decision support information in an instant.
- Prepare for clinical practice, with the most recent, trusted information on the most-commonly occurring conditions, backed up by evidence and with links to guidelines.
- Feel confident during clinical placements – remote, mobile and offline access ensures you always have the information when you need it.
DynaMed – Helps facilitate successful patient interactions using shared decision-making.
- To provide exceptional care, clinicians must have the utmost confidence in the information they use to diagnose and manage patients. DynaMed ensures peace of mind in the clinical decision-making process.
- When a clinician has a question at the point of care, they need an answer fast. DynaMed quickly identifies the right content – key takeaways, targeted synopses, and clearly defined recommendations reduce time to answer.
We have a Health & Wellbeing Collection to help you relax and stay fit & healthy. The collection includes books on stress, healthy eating, exercise, hobbies and much more. There are both eBooks and print books available in the collection.
We also have a large fiction and non-fiction collection to help you relax and unwind after a busy day studying.
We have relaxation areas where you can take some time out from your revision, including a Health and Well-being room at Chorley and comfy seating areas at Preston.
The Library and these resources can be accessed 24/7 with your Trust ID Badge.